Is Kmail still being developed?
This question was posted on the KDE forum a few days ago and deserves an answer.
Yes, KMail is maintained, It even has a new maintainer since a few months. Laurent Montel now takes care of KMail2 and already made an awesome work.
So, what’s the state of KMail in KDE 4.7 ?
Since the 4.7.0 tag, 556 commits were made in kdepim/kmail.
But KMail is no longer a monolithic block, so let’s add:
- 207 commits in kdepim/mailcommon,
- 51 commits in kdepim/mailfilteragent.
- 98 commits in kdepim/messagecomposer,
- 43 commits in kdepim/messagecore,
- 54 commits in kdepim/messagelist,
- 153 commits in kdepim/messageviewer,
Still not convinced ? Let’s head to the KDE Bugs Tracker…
Since the creation of the KMail2 product, 690 bugs were marked as RESOLVED.
- 11 bugs were marked as UPSTREAM (bug in one of the KDEPIM/KDE dependencies)
- 4 bugs were marked as DOWNSTREAM (distribution/packaging bug)
- 6 bugs were marked as WONTFIX
- 67 bugs were marked as INVALID
- 77 bugs were marked as WORKSFORME (the reporter cannot reproduce the issue)
- 178 bugs were marked as DUPLICATE (!!)
- 324 bugs were marked as FIXED
Still according to our bugs tracker,
- 14 bugs were explicitly marked as fixed in 4.7.2
- 24 bugs were explicitly marked as fixed in 4.7.3
- 24 bugs were explicitly marked as fixed in 4.7.4
- 15 bugs were explicitly marked as fixed in 4.8
KMail bugs closed since KDE 4.7.3 (only the reports explicitly marked as fixed-in 4.7.4 are listed):
- 143059 printing of mails ignores if part of the mail is blinded out
- 258117 Cannot create Mailing List filter via context menu
- 259422 Kmail ignores trash folder setting. It moves deleted emails to the local trash folder.
- 263587 BCC addresses shows bcc’s to “To:” recipient
- 278060 Mailing list detection does not work
- 280649 Kontact crash when closing
- 282652 Setting up filters for Distribution lists does not work
- 284789 Does not remember mail transport
- 285134 Closing the drop action popup by clicking somewhere else will execute a “move” operation instead of “cancel”
- 285508 subject line is always spell checked with default dictionary
- 285623 emails are not sent until restart of mail dispatcher agent
- 285653 Thousands of errors “Select Failed, server replied A000… NO Mailbox …
- 285814 Shortcut for moving mail to folder does not move to folder highlighted in dialog
- 285878 search mail – unusable sort by date
- 286505 kmail no more send mails
- 286615 Encrypted email not decrypted in-time for printing
- 286663 Kontact crashed when canceling creation of sieve script
- 286827 Unable to reply to an encapsulated message
- 286875 Redirected email is stored in wrong sent-folder
- 286889 Move Thread to Trash Context Menu
- 286922 edited mail from outbox deleted after closing
- 287367 Kmail is truncating recipients in “reply to all”
- 287696 redirected mail isn’t marked as redirected (or forwarded)
- 287779 Copy Email then Paste As Attachment does not work as expected